Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Book vs. Movie: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Happy Harry Potter Day!
Or at least, that is what I refer to this day!

SPOILER ALERT!
Don't read this post if you haven't seen the movie yet!

It's been a very long wait for all of us potter fanatics! I think it was about this time last year when they had announced that they were not going to be releasing the movie in November 2008. Making it an entire year after seeing the first teaser trailer before we could actually see the movie! (Wasn't that so frustrating?!)

I was lucky enough, that even though I live in an extremely tiny town, my local theatre had a midnight premier of the movie!!! For a couple of the other movies we didn't even get it opening week! But it seems that my local theatre is getting better at getting their hands on hot new releases!

We did have some thunderstorms last night, and the electricity went out during the movie, and when it came back on we didn't have sound for 3 minutes... so I missed the dialogue during the entire hospital scene with Ron :( But that just means I am going to have to go see it again very soon!

My thoughts on the Movie: Overall, I LOVED the movie, but it's my least favorite movie so far... I really need to learn NOT to re-read the books right before I see the movie because then I notice every little thing that is different. But in this case, there were a few HUGE things that were different, and it disappointed me to a certain extent.

I loved the very beginning, when it shows the death eaters causing mayhem in the muggle world. But what was the deal with Harry hitting on the muggle waitress in the train station? That was completely pointless in my opinion.

I loved, loved, loved that they showed Fred and George's joke shop! I can't get enough of the twins, and I was a little bit afraid that they would be cut from this movie, since they aren't in the book that much.

It didn't bother me that instead of Tonks finding Harry on the train, that they had Luna find him instead. I love Luna, and I loved that they made sure to include her quite a bit. Even if they were really small scenes of her in a lion hat, and Harry taking her to the party!

Ron was brilliant. Draco was brilliant. Harry was brilliant. Hermione was brilliant. Even Lavender Brown was brilliant! The acting for pretty much everyone gets an A+... all of the different emotions were portrayed brilliantly. And I must say... I am kind of crushing on Tom Felton now. yikes! He was amazing!

One issue I had was the scene over Christmas break at the Burrow. WHY DID IT BURN DOWN? What does this mean for certain parts of the next movie? I don't know! It doesn't actually bother me that the death eaters showed up during Christmas break, when they didn't in the book... it's just the fact that the house burned down. It did provide more action and darkness, which was needed in the movie, but it just seems like that part might cause some issues for the next movie... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Another issue I had was that they didn't emphasize enough on the mystery behind the Half Blood prince. It was very vague actually. I took someone to the movie with me, who has never read the books, and has only ever seen the movies, and I felt that I had to explain some parts to them during the movie so that they would understand it more, where as with the other movies I didn't have to explain anything at all.

I loved the cave scene, and then when Draco came face to face with Dumbledore! OMG! I cried a little, I thought it was beautiful how everyone lifted their wands in his memory. So touching! I think it would have been even more effective if they would have ended the movie with the funeral though.

Overall, Half Blood Prince is a very detailed book, so I can see why so many things were left out, and why certain things were changed to help the movie flow better. It was well worth the wait, and I can't wait to see it again! (and again, and again)

I am so glad that Deathly Hallows will be split into two movies! So much happens in that book, and I think it's very wise to make it into two movies!


1 comment:

  1. I agree with a lot of the stuff you said. The last time I read this book was 2 years ago. So, I kind of forget a lot of stuff that happens. I really liked how dark the movie was, but
    I do feel like a lot of stuff was rushed. Of course I understand that though considering the time they were dealing with.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete