Sunday, August 16, 2009

Review: Suite Scarlett

Suite Scarlett
by Maureen Johnson
Published: May 1st 2008 by Point
336 pages
I give it:

Description: Scarlett is the third of four children in the Martin family. The Martins live in and manage a shabby hotel in NYC that dates back to the 1920s. When Scarlett turns 15, she is put in charge of one of the hotel's 27 rooms- the Empire Suite. Into this room moves Mrs. Amberson, a failed 1970s starlet who has returned to New York to write her memoirs. Soon, Scarlett is taking dictation, running around town with Mrs. Amberson, and getting caught up in her Auntie Mame-meets-Bianca Jagger adventures.

In the midst of all this, Scarlett falls in love - or so she thinks - and it takes Mrs. Amberson to help her see the light.


What I thought: Loved Loved LOVED it!!! I simply adore Maureen Johnson, and I've vowed to read anything she publishes. Suite Scarlett did not disappoint! I found it easy to relate to the protagonist, Scarlett Martin, and the supporting characters are well developed. I love the entire Martin clan, and I even kind of liked Marlene in all of her spoiled glory! Scarlett's older brother, Spencer, was definitely my favorite character, and I found myself giggling throughout the entire book. There was never a dull moment!

I thought the story was very clever, and I loved how it all came together in the end. And with all of Maureen's books that I have read, I find that it is easy to lose myself in the setting she describes. I sometimes felt like I was really in NYC! (Even though I've never been there).

I wish Mrs. Amberson would drop into my life and turn it upside down like she did for the Martins. At first I thought I was going to hate her, but I loved her as well! I mentioned that I found Scarlett relatable, and by the end I couldn't help but be jealous of her!

For some reason, while reading this book, I could vividly picture Wendie Malick as Mrs. Amberson... and I don't normally connect actors with characters in books. I normally develop my own image of characters based on how they are described.

I am definitely looking forward to reading more about the Martin clan! I can't wait for the sequel, "Scarlett Fever" which is due out in early 2010.

If you haven't already, you should check out Maureen Johnson's blog, and follow her on Twitter!


3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm going to check this one out now. I've never read any of her books so maybe I'll get Suite Scarlett first.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm reading this right now! :) I really, really like it and can't wait to see how it ends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! I loved 13 Little Blue Envelopes so I can't wait to read Suite Scarlett. I just got it in the mail today from a swap with another blogger- can't wait to get started(:

    ReplyDelete