Friday, March 12, 2010

Review: Girl at Sea

Girl at Sea
by Maureen Johnson
published: May 17th, 2007
336 pages
I give it:

Description: Sometimes you have to get lost. The Girl: Clio, seventeen, wants to spend the summer smooching her art-store crush, not stuck on a boat in the Mediterranean. At least she'll get a killer tan. The Mission: Survive her father's annoying antics. Oh, also find some underwater treasure that could be the missing link to a long-lost civilization. The Crew: Dad's absentminded best friend Martin, his scary girlfriend Julia, her voluptuous daughter Elsa . . . and then there's Aidan, Julia's incredibly attractive, incredibly arrogant research assistant. What's going on behind Aidan's intellectual, intensely green eyes, anyway? As Clio sails into uncharted territory she unveils secrets that have the power to change history. But her most surprising discovery is that there's something deeper and more mysterious than the sea—her own heart.

My Thoughts: I am a huge fan of Maureen Johnson. In fact, I think I may have been a fan of hers before I even picked up any of her novels, just because I find her hilarious! I love her blog, her vlogs, and her daily flood of twitter messages! I especially love that her humor is carried over in her novels!

At first I found the main character, Clio, to be a little bratty, but she redeemed herself by the end of the story. Clio grew up having adventures with her father, so even though I would kill to be in her shoes, Clio just wanted to have a normal life back home in America.

I have read several of Maureen's books now, and I think that so far "Girl at Sea" is my favorite! The characters are extremely realistic and easy to relate to, and the story held just the right amount of mystery and romance! It's a fun and light read, that takes you on an adventure!

I can't wait to read more from Maureen Johnson!



1 comment: