Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Review: Being Nikki by Meg Cabot

Being Nikki (Airhead, #2)
by Meg Cabot
May 5th 2009
336 pages

Description:
Things aren't pretty for Emerson Watts. Em was sure there couldn't be anything worse than being a brainiac the body of a teenaged supermodel. But it turned out she was wrong. Because that supermodel could turn out to have a mother who's gone mysteriously missing, a brother who's shown up on her doorstep demanding answers, a former best friend who's intent on destroying Stark Enterprises to avenge the death of his lost love, and a British heartthrob who's written a song about her that's topping the charts.
 

How can Em balance all that with school, runway shows, and weekend jaunts to St. Johns — especially when she's got ex-boyfriends crawling out of the woodwork who want more than just a photo op; a sister who is headed to the high school cheerleading championships; a company she represents that seems to be turning to the dark side... Not to mention trying to convince the love of her life that models aren't really airheads after all...especially one model in particular.

But then, nobody said it was going to be easy being Nikki.

My Thoughts: I loved "Airhead" and since the book ended abruptly, I found my self throwing it down and quickly picking up "Being Nikki" so that I could continue with the story.

After reading "Airhead," I thought I knew what to expect with it's sequel, but I was wrong yet again! I expected an interesting novel about a normal nerdy girl who had her brain transplanted into the body of the world's most famous teen supermodel, and her struggles with her new celebrity lifestyle while also trying to juggle her school life. I thought trying to get Christopher (her best friend, and long time crush from her previous life) to notice her would be her biggest challenge. But the sequel contained so much more!

It's not enough that Em's a paranoid mess. She has a feeling that not only her phone, her computer and her loft are bugged, but she also believes that Stark Enterprises are also monitoring her friends and family as well. Making it extremely hard to just tell people the truth about what happened to her, and what is going on in her life. But then Steven shows up at her loft, he claims to be her brother, and is angry with her for not knowing that their mother has disappeared! Of course Em wouldn't know anything about this, she had no idea Nikki even had a family, and neither did Nikki's friends because she never talked about them.

By the end of the book, the story had taken some strange twist and turns that I definitely did not see coming! I was literally shocked! Which normally I pride myself on being able to have at least some idea where the plot is going, and in some parts I did, but wow, some things I just did not predict at all! The story ends with a major cliffhanger that had me rushing out the next day to buy the third book in the series, "Runaway," which luckily was released just a few days before I finished "Being Nikki."

No comments:

Post a Comment