Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: "Wake"

Wake (Dream Catcher, #1)
by Lisa McMann
March 4th 2008
210 pages 
 
 From Goodreads: NOT ALL DREAMS ARE SWEET. For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.... 


My Thoughts: I found this to be an extremely effortless read. Normally I probably wouldn't like a short story, with very little description, but I actually thought it was done very nicely in this book. It was quick and to the point, just enough information for you to enjoy the story, while moving it along at a fast pace.

Even with little description, I thought the main characters, Janie and Cabel, were very well developed! They were very real! They were troubled with many flaws, and they just seemed like real teenagers with real problems... other than the fact that Janie gets pulled into the dreams of the people around her.

Overall, it was a very interesting read. I loved reading about the dreams of others, and I never really thought about how personal dreams really are. They're your best kept secret. Even though your dreams may not be literally how you feel, they are connected to you in some ways.

"Wake" is the first book in a series, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm i have been very tempted to get this bok but the short read put me off slightly....however now im thinking i should get it.....Great Review

    ReplyDelete